Alarming Facts about Google AdSense Auto AD VS Manual AD Placement
Ever since Google AdSense launched the new Auto Ad placement robot over the manual Ad placement we were all used to, the internet has been so agog-with praises and criticism from both amateur and professional webmasters.
And like you already know it, AdSense being the biggest marketing giant in the industry; it wasn’t a huge surprise to receive such a historical tech-advancement from them.
The Auto Ad robot was designed with the intention of maximizing more profit for publishers and getting more product awareness for internet marketers. It was more of a win-win situation for both marketers and publishers. But unfortunately, the Auto ad robot has enjoyed more criticism from many webmasters, who shared their bitter experience of using the Auto Ad placement machine.
Some complained of poor user experience as the Auto ad placement machine was displaying over seven ads on a single page at random positions. But however, I would like to be very optimistic that sooner than later all these issues will be addressed and the auto ad placement robot will be the most preferred choice for everyone.
How to set up your Auto Ad robot
Setting up the Auto ad machine is not too much of a hassle, all you need is to sign-up and get approved with AdSense, then follow these easy steps;
- After your request to show AdSense ad on your page has been approved, you need to sign in to your AdSense publisher account.
- On the dashboard, locate the left navigation panel and click on my ads and select Get Started
- A new page will open which is called the global setting page, here you will have to select the type of ad format that will be displayed on your site, and click save.
- On the next page, copy the code and go back to your site
- Paste the copied code between the <head> and </head> tags on each page where you want to show AdSense Ads. Wait for about 15 – 20 minutes for Auto Ads to start displaying
Inserting AdSense auto Ad code between <head> and </head> tags of your site.
Now, inserting Auto ad code on your site could be a little bit “Techish” especially if you are not too savvy with coding, and inserting the code in the wrong places could break your site in the next seconds. But however, I just want to keep my hopes elevated, that with this little guide you should be able to run AdSense auto Ads safely on your site;
- Login to your BlogSpot account
- Click on Theme from the left side navigation menu
- A new page will open, click on “Edit HTML“
- And click on any open space from the lines of HTML code that appeared, then do a search for this code <head>
- You can find that code easily, by simply pressing this short command [Ctrl+F] on your keyboard, a little drop-down box will pop-up, type in this code <head> inside the box
- When you find the code <head>, add your Auto ad code under it and click the Save Theme
- Wait for about 15 minutes for Auto ads to start showing on your pages, you can go for a break.
For WordPress Users, there are two ways to insert AdSense Auto Ads on your site:
This is quite a straightforward method of inserting AdSense Auto ad code to your site.
- First, sign in to your WordPress Admin panel
- Locate the “Appearance setting” from the left navigation panel, click on “Editor” from the drop-down menu
- Your theme Code will appear and on the right side menu scroll down to where you have the Theme Header link click on it and insert your code right after the <head>
Please Note: One major setback to this method is that; your Auto Ad code is going to disappear anytime there is a major theme update, so take note.
There two major WordPress plugin we are going to consider for this guide, though there are a lot of Stunning WordPress plugin you can use for this, I will only be using this two plugin for this guide;
The Insert header and footer plugin By WPBeginner
This plugin is a remarkable plugin. Anytime you want to add any piece of code to your WordPress site header or footer session you can rely on this plugin. To add your Google AdSense auto ad code, first, you need to download or install and activate this plugin from the WordPress plugin repository.
Open the plugin after activation, on the header session install your AUTO AD code, click save, and go get a glass of coffee as you watch Auto Ad take full control of your site monetization. It is that quick and easy
The Advanced Ads Plugin By Thomas Maier
Like its name Advanced Ads, it is a more advanced technique of adding Auto Ad to your site seamlessly. But first, you need to install and activate this plugin from your WordPress plugin repository.
Open the Advanced Ad plugin you just installed and go to Settings from the drop-down menu, click AdSense and do the following set-up
On the AdSense, page enter your publisher ID in the AdSense ID field. You can find it in the URL when you are logged into your AdSense account.
Enable the Verification code and Auto ads option, and your code will be automatically placed in the right place on your site.
To restrict Auto Ads robot from displaying Ads on specific pages, do the following steps;
- Get the Auto Ads code from your AdSense account
- Go to Advanced Ads click on Ads in your WordPress admin panel and create a new ad
- Choose the Plain Text & Code ad type
- Enter the Auto Ads code into the code editor field
- Go to the Display Conditions box and select the “Specific Pages” condition or any other Display Conditions
- Publish the ad code
- Go to Advanced Ads > Placements and create a new Header code placement (the one with </head> on the icon) and assign your last ad to it
- Save the placements
- If you enabled Auto Ads through Advanced Ads > Settings > AdSense, as described above, disable it there.
PROs and CONs of Auto Ad Placement Robot
- Increased revenue for publishers
- Easy to integrate on any webpage
- A more effective marketing campaign for marketers
- Increased potential for getting more clicks that may lead to sales
- As a publisher, if you were already using other page-level ads from AdSense, Auto ads completely takes over
- Ads appearing at a random position
- Poor user experience
- Huge decreased in sites loading speed
So is Manual Ad placement more preferable to Auto ad placement?
It will only be based on whatever target you plan to achieve from the selling of Ads on your site. But taking a cue from the CONs of Auto ad placement it will be advisable to stick with the manual Ad placement for now until things are a bit more settled with Auto ads.
The Auto ad robot takes a lot of time to learn your site and prior to this time, user experience may be badly hurt. As you can see we are presently using the auto ad robot to experiment its benefit, we can assure of more updates as we learn more.
Auto Ad placement is absolutely a welcome development from Google AdSense and we applaud them for it, but with the little issues here and there we can only pray they find a quick fix to it. As this would have been a life-changing experience for many publishers like you and me. If possible, it would have been more preferable if publishers can control the number of ads shown per page, it is just a suggestion or what do you think?
Before you share your thought via the comment section, quickly go through this recommendation;
- 15 Alternative to AdSense with instant approval in case you didn’t get approval
- How to keep blogging and still make more money without selling Ads
- Google AdSense Guide – Everything you need to know