How to start a Blog in 10 minutes on Blogger.com with a custom domain name
Blogging being one of the legitimate ways you can make money online with a very low start-up requirement, we all want to get involve and set-off real quick. Platforms like blogger.com become a spring-center for the early starters learning how to blog. But like we all know blogger.com is a free platform owned by Google to assist early starters like you.
Though Blogger is a free host platform for early starter, it comes with some restrictions and one of which is not owning the complete right to your blog name. You are constrained to use something like yourblogname.blogspot.com if you want to preach some sense of professionalism having a blog name like yourblogname.blogspot.com, is really not the right way to go. So to break the limit, blogger allows you to convert Blogspot blog to a custom domain name like yourdomain.com easily. But before then, let’s have;
A Brief History on why people blog
Earlier on, as the need for online marketing grew stronger blogging became another lucrative business online for a few due to its high demand for programming skill, but recently with so much advancement in technology the blogging field has become overcrowded since the process of owning a blog became more simpler than we use to have.
How to Start a Blog with BLOGGER
The advent of dynamic web builders like blogger.com, wordpress.org, and others knocked out the need for having the compulsory basic knowledge on HTML and CSS programming. Now anyone who desires to own a blog can do so even without any technical knowledge.
Blogging is one of the legitimate ways you can make money online with a very low start-up requirement like having a desktop/ Laptop computer and a good internet facility.
If all is set you can follow me as I walk you through the process of hosting a new blog on a free host or self-hosted BLOGGER account in 10 minutes with a custom domain name. But first, let’s have a brief concept on a custom domain
What do we mean by custom domain?
A custom domain name is a preferred name you choose to call your blog/ website, for example, www.infoexposure.com or www.yourpreferedname.com. Using a custom domain name is very important as it makes your blog/ website appear more professional, unlike sites with yourname.blogspot.com or yourname.tumblr.com- this kind of domain name may be regarded as site built by an inexperienced blogger and in times of monetization such sites are rarely considered.
The price of owning a custom domain name is considerably very low and equivalent to the money we use for candy. You can get your top-level (.com) domain name from as low as $3 to $6 depending on the company you choose to purchase your domain name, I prefer Domainking due to their quick response and friendly customer support.
Setting-up custom domain on Blogger
Step 2; on your browser search for Blogger and sign with your new Gmail account and on the left side you will find the button create a blog click on it and fill in the required information wait for some few seconds and your blog will be ready with a domain like yourname.blogspot.com not to worry our next step will show you how to get the custom domain name and change the default domain name.
Step 3; now do another search for Domainking or any other domain seller you would prefer to get your domain name from.
If you choose to use Domainking as your domain Registrar
follow these steps placing your order for a domain name and integrate it with blogger; On the front page of domainking click on register domain name and you will be lead to a new page where you can search your preferred domain name.
If your preferred domain name is available you will receive a green alert informing you of your domain availability, under the green alert message are your domain name and order now button click on it.
On the next page, you will add the following to your cart by ticking each box before checking out.
- DNS management
- Email Forwarding
- ID protection
Next is the checkout page where you get to enter your payment details. Please note in the place of email, it is advisable to use your Gmail account.
Integrating Domain with Blogger Blog
1) With your Gmail account Log in to your Blogger Blog.
2) Select your newly created blog (ie www.yourblog.blogspot.com) in your blogger account. That’s the blog, you intend to integrate your custom domain with. The domain name you recently acquired from domainking
3) Now On the Left of the navigation bar click on “Settings” . Now you are on the Settings > Basics page in your blogger blog in which you need to make changes to integrate it with your custom domain name.
4) Next Scroll down to Publishing section and click on “+ Set up a third-party URL for your blog“ as shown in the screenshot below.
5) Now you need to type the URL of the domain you’ve purchased and then click “Save” button Keeping in mind that it must begin with www in order to work. You could mention blog.yourdomain.com or www.yourdomain.com or whatever URL you want your blog to be. www is preferred if you want to keep the blog as the main domain.
6) You should see an error, and two CNAMEs listed below. The first CNAME is the same for everyone, Name being “www” and Destination “ghs.google.com”. The second CNAME is particular to your blog and your Google Account and is therefore different for each person.
7) On your Domainking client dashboard locate click our your newly acquired blog and hit the DNS button to edit your website CNAME. If you are not able to enter it yourself as shown in the above guide then you can send those CNAMEs to domainking via email and they will assist you promptly.
8) from set 6, you received an error at while saving settings during initial setup with blogger.com, the integration was not completed properly. You just need to save the settings at the Blogger.com’s end. So that Google knows the process is complete at our end and they redirect your blog to your domain.
9)After that, you need to redirect non-www Traffic to your Blog (i.e: Redirecting yourdomain.com to www.yourdomain.com). You also need to enable the redirect settings from blogger dashboard that will redirect all non-www domain traffic to your www domain.
How do you redirect non-www traffic to your blogger blog?
1) Go to Settings > basic of your blogger blog.
2) Under Publishing section, you need to click on Edit next to your custom domain name.
3) Now you need to check the option “Redirect www.yourdomain.com to yourdomain.com”.
4) When that is done, your blogger blog will successfully be integrated with your custom domain. You can check your website after clearing cookies and cache of your browser. Your blogger blog address becomes www.yourpreferreddomain.com, instead of the usual www.yourblog.blogspot.com
However, after purchasing the domain name you can still contact domainking either by LifeChat or on phone to assist you in integrating your new domain name with your Blogger address (ie yourdomain.blogspot.com) if the setup seems too complex for you. Just a few important information will be required from you and all other technical issues will be handled by domainking, these will be done in just a few minutes and your website will be fully ready with your personal/custom domain.
Now in less than 10minute, we have got our blog ready with our own domain name without any technical no-how and also save money on hiring a professional web designer to help us out. Before you start adding content to your blog you may be interested to use a custom template to separate your blog from competitors within your niche or better still, use the default template available on Blogger.
You can now go-ahead to add your pages and post. If you ever got stuck on any of these steps feel free to contact me by mail or leave a comment on the comment box and I will right there to assist you.